- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; add to the creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin, beating well after each addition. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter in half. Stir melted chocolate into one portion. In a well-greased 10-in. fluted tube pan, sprinkle 1/2 cup pecans. Spoon chocolate batter over pecans; top with pumpkin batter. Sprinkle with remaining pecans.
- Bake at 325° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake
Sort By :
"Oh, my was this a great recipe!!!!! Made it for company and everyone loved it. It is moist and the pumpkin flavor really comes through and of course anything is better with chocolate. The only difference I dumped half of the mixture into the pan and then mixed the chocolate into remaining mixture and then placed it on top. That way I did not mess up another pan!"
"Somehow I forgot to divide the batter in half and add the melted chocolate to it. So my cake didn't have the pretty marbled look. It still tasted great and was quite moist. Pumpkin and chocolate chips go really well together. If you don't care a lot for pumpkin flavor, try adding chocolate chips to your recipe. When I make this cake again with the part I forgot, I think I will use cocoa powder instead of melting the unsweetened chocolate."
"My son loves pumpkin pie but I wanted to make something other than pie, so I made this cake and loved it!"
"Very yummy! I substituted 1/2 C of the butter with applesauce, lessened the sugar because of it, and added some allspice. Thanks for sharing!!"
"So good! Made it for a friend's birthday. It was a major hit! Needs to cool longer than 15 minutes though!"