Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies Recipe
This is one of my most popular recipes. Shape them into hearts for Valentine's Day or make them as drop cookies for other occasions. —Debbie Tilley, Riverview, Florida
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons finely crushed almonds or walnuts, optional
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 6 minutes. Beat in cocoa. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts if desired.
- 2. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert # 806 round pastry tip. Fill the bag with meringue. Pipe 1-1/2-in. hearts 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 43 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 32 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC