This is one of my most popular recipes. Shape them into hearts for Valentine's Day or make them as drop cookies for other occasions. —Debbie Tilley, Riverview, Florida
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons finely crushed almonds or walnuts, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 6 minutes. Beat in cocoa. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts if desired.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert # 806 round pastry tip. Fill the bag with meringue. Pipe 1-1/2-in. hearts 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p188
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review