- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons finely crushed almonds or walnuts, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 6 minutes. Beat in cocoa. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts if desired.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert # 806 round pastry tip. Fill the bag with meringue. Pipe 1-1/2-in. hearts 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
Sort By :
"This was my first attempt at a meringue cookie. It was spectacular! It is hard to imagine the deep, rich flavor of such a light cookie. I followed the directions except I dropped the cookies instead of piping them. They still turned out beautiful. I also included a 1/2tsp of vanilla. This is a great recipe to make on the same day as making a pound cake that uses four egg yolks. I made a ToH Lemmon Pound Cake that called for 3 yolks. Plus, your oven will already be turned on. This delicious , easy cookie will be gracing our Holliday cookie trays this year!"
"I love the idea of the heart shapes. I will do that... I think these are fantastic cookies. Thanks for sharing."