Chocolate Chip Meringue Bars Recipe
My husband and I are sugar beet farmers in the great Red River Valley. I've made these bars many times for my family, and we all love them.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup ground salted peanuts
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening, 1/2 cup of brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Combine water and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water mixture, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Spread in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. In a small bowl, beat egg whites over medium speed until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining brown sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over chocolate chips. Top with peanuts. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 each: 173 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Meringue Bars
Reviewed Dec. 5, 2009
"I really enjoyed it and it was fun to bake."
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC