- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup ground salted peanuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening, 1/2 cup of brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Combine water and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Spread in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. In a small bowl, beat egg whites over medium speed until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining brown sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over chocolate chips. Top with peanuts. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Meringue Bars in Country Extra November 1997, p49
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Meringue Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 5, 2009
"I really enjoyed it and it was fun to bake."