- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup ground salted peanuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening, 1/2 cup of brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Combine water and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Spread in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. In a small bowl, beat egg whites over medium speed until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining brown sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over chocolate chips. Top with peanuts. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Meringue Bars in Country Extra November 1997, p49
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Meringue Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 5, 2009
"I really enjoyed it and it was fun to bake."