Chocolate Chip Date Cake
Pam Jennings of Prairie City, Iowa, shares her recipe for Chocolate Chip Date Cake. "This bar-like cake travels well because there's no messy frosting to melt," assures Pam. "It also stays nice ans moist—if there's any left over.
32 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, bring water and dates to a boil. Remove from
- heat; cool. In a bowl, cream together sugar and shortening. Add eggs
- and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, cocoa and salt; add to creamed
- mixture. Add dates and cooking liquid; mix well. Place in a greased
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and
- walnuts. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove to a wire
- rack to cool.
- Yield: 32 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 149 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 41 mg sodium,