Pam Jennings of Prairie City, Iowa, shares her recipe for Chocolate Chip Date Cake. "This bar-like cake travels well because there's no messy frosting to melt," assures Pam. "It also stays nice ans moist—if there's any left over.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, bring water and dates to a boil. Remove from heat; cool. In a bowl, cream together sugar and shortening. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, cocoa and salt; add to creamed mixture. Add dates and cooking liquid; mix well. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and walnuts. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 32 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Date Cake in Taste of Home June/July 1993, p54
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Date Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review