Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake
The recipe goes back to the early '50s, when my husband and his brother farmed together. We wives had to have lunches ready most any time of day, and the cake was easy to make and have on hand...with no frosting to fuss with!
12-16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, butter and salt until crumbly. Set
- aside 1 cup. Stir baking soda, cinnamon and cloves into the
- remaining crumb mixture. Add egg and buttermilk; mix well. Pour into
- a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with reserved crumb
- mixture; top with chocolate chips and nuts. Bake at 350° for 30
- minutes or until the cake tests done. Cool on a wire rack. Yield:
- 12-16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 249 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 251 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.