- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oil and egg. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add egg; beat well. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Bars
"I was so disappointed with these bars. I wouldn't even call them bars. They are very crumbly cookie-like bites. The cup of crumbs you sprinkle on top don't melt, the mini chips don't completely melt, they crumble when cut, and there isn't enough cream cheese to really taste. I sure won't make these again."
"Sfcollins step one says to combine the cake mix with other ingredients and to reserve a cup. Step two directs you to sprinkle the reserved crumbs over the filling.Hope that helps."
"I must be misinterpreting the recipe. There seems to be information omitted. Recipe is not clear as to what to do with the cake mix and how the crumbles are made. It is very confusing."
"quick prep, easy to make. Everyone loved the taste. thanks"
"Wonderful! I used regular cream cheese, rather than the low fat. I rarely cook or bake with anything low fat, as my husband and I are not overweight, and we rarely eat out or eat fast food. These bars are great and I will make them again!!!"
"Made this yesterday. Very good; rich. I used a 9x9 pan and it was perfect! I do plan on saving this recipe and making it again."
"These are really simple to make and completely delicious!"
"I really had trouble making the crumb mixture and getting it stirred. I mixed them cream cheese and crumb mixture together. It tasted good, but certainly did not look like the picture. I am going to look for a similar recipe to make."