Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Bars Recipe
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oil and egg. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set.
- 2. For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add egg; beat well. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and reserved crumb mixture.
- 3. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 187 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Bars
"Quick prep, easy to make. Everyone loved the taste. thanks"
"Wonderful! I used regular cream cheese, rather than the low fat. I rarely cook or bake with anything low fat, as my husband and I are not overweight, and we rarely eat out or eat fast food. These bars are great and I will make them again!!!"
"Made this yesterday. Very good; rich. I used a 9x9 pan and it was perfect! I do plan on saving this recipe and making it again."
"These are really simple to make and completely delicious!"
"I really had trouble making the crumb mixture and getting it stirred. I mixed them cream cheese and crumb mixture together. It tasted good, but certainly did not look like the picture. I am going to look for a similar recipe to make."
"I had my Bunco Ladies last night and the all loved this recipe. I will certainly make it again. I was short on time and this recipe went together in about the time designated on the recipe. I was short on mini chocolate chips so I added a few toffee bites. Liz in Gardnerville, NV"
"I haven't made this recipe yet, but plan to. I'm surprised that you didn't mention to replace the canola oil with unsweetened applesauce to make it healthier. I never use oil in cake mixes, only applesauce and everyone raves about them."
"This was Delicious!! i was out of chocolate cake mix so I used some Red Velvet I had in my pantry. It turned out great! I would definitely recomend it:)"
"I made these for my birthday and I was not impressed."
"One word...Delicious! :)"
"These bars were very easy to make, and quite a few people said that they were better than any brownie they had ever had. They're delicious and nobody would ever think that these were so healthy."
"this is a chocolate lover's dream! made it for my son's birthday - he loves German chocolate cake, so this just made it extra special!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.