Chocolate Chip Coffee Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, coffee granules, cinnamon and salt. Whisk the egg, milk, butter and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- 2. For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 15 muffins.
1 each: 291 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Coffee Muffins
"These are like coffee-cake muffins, but with a more subdued streusel which I think is perfect for this muffin; the topping creates some textural variety. I made these as 12 muffins instead of 15 and they worked perfectly - they're beautiful! - and I baked them for about 22-26 minutes. I would imagine they'd be a bit small if I had made 15.The coffee is very subtle here and contributes to an overall heartiness; it disguises itself as a sort of "can't-put-my-finger-on-it" flavor somewhat akin to nuttiness. Also, the mini chocolate chips mean you don't encounter a big pocket of melted chocolate; they, again, lend themselves to the overall impression. This is what makes this muffin such a fantastic muffin for breakfast or coffee; it's delicious, satisfying and presentable, flavorful but not extravagant or rich."
"Very good! I made them for work on Mother's day...they were a big hit!"
"I have made a recipe about identical to this for many years. I add raisins to them. Wonderful breakfast or anytime snack."
"These muffins are quite nice. I did reduce the amount of mini-chocolate chips to 1/2 cup, and added 1/2 cup of chopped nuts."
"This recipe is awesome-my whole family loves them. I have made several similar versions, but this one is the best!"