Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
I found this recipe in one of my mother's old cookbooks. My family doesn't like raisins, so they were thrilled to hear it contains chocolate chips instead.
- 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt. Cut in 2 tablespoons of the butter until crumbly. Add the milk, egg yolk and yeast mixture; stir well. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 10-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter; brush butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and remaining sugar. Sprinkle over dough, then sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- 3. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 1-in. slices; place cut side down in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency; drizzle over warm rolls. Serve warm. Yield: 6 rolls.
1 serving (1 each) equals 267 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC