Chocolate Chip Challah Recipe
I'm fond of baking and since Challah is not available where I live, I've created my own version to serve at Christmas and Easter. It is delicious and not as much work as you would think. There is a subtle chocolate flavor and when served warm the chocolate chips may be still melty. Leftovers are great for French toast or bread pudding.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, honey, eggs, egg yolks, salt and vanilla; mix well.
- Add 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead in chocolate chips. Divide dough in half; divide each half into three portions. Shape each piece into an 12-in. rope.
- Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Combine cream and sugar. Brush some of the mixture over braids. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks and brush with remaining cream mixture. Cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Challah in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p60
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Challah(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review