Chocolate Chip Carrot Bread Recipe
My family likes sweet breads, and this loaf incorporates many of their favorite ingredients. I'm a former newspaper food columnist, and coming up with flavorful recipes that are a little out-of-the-ordinary is a favorite pastime.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, orange juice, oil and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the carrots and chocolate chips.
- 2. Transfer to two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 176 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC