My family likes sweet breads, and this loaf incorporates many of their favorite ingredients. I'm a former newspaper food columnist, and coming up with flavorful recipes that are a little out-of-the-ordinary is a favorite pastime.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, orange juice, oil and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the carrots and chocolate chips.
- Transfer to two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Carrot Bread in Country Woman September/October 2001, p33
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Carrot Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review