- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, orange juice, oil and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the carrots and chocolate chips.
- Transfer to two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Carrot Bread
"Excellent! I decreased the sugar to 3/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar and it was plenty sweet. I used the larger amounts of cinnamon and cloves."
"I use carrots from my garden which are sweeter than the store's so I only use 1/2 c sugar and 1/2 c brown sugar. I also make this with dark chocolate chips. It is wonderful. I make it every year at the end of the season and freeze a bunch of loaves (and muffins)."