Chocolate Chip Caramel Cake Recipe
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- CARAMEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the first five ingredients on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into a well-greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. For topping, combine the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and vanilla. Return to a boil; remove from the heat and cool slightly. Add confectioners' sugar; beat on high with a portable mixer for 30 seconds or until thickened. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with nuts.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over top. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 317 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 359 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Caramel Cake
"one of best cakes I have ever made ... I took it to some volunteers that I work with and everyone raved about the cake and ask me to bring it again next time..."
"A wonderful recipe, I used plain lo-fat yogurt instead, since that is what I had, and it turned out exc. I also used a Pillsbury German chocolate cake mix instead of white & it was delish! try it you won't go wrong. I can't wait to do it again."
"This cake is so delicious. I've made it approx. 10 times and EVERYONE loves it and asks for the recipe. My Bunco group requests it everytime I host. Just make sure your icing is warm enough and it will drizzle just right."
"I've tried the recipe for the topping several times and cannot get it to "drizzle" consistency...any suggestions?"