When I want to serve a treat that's pretty and delicious, I make this scrumptious cake. Dotted with chocolate chips and topped with caramel icing, pecans and a chocolate drizzle, it's absolutely irresistible! -Michele VanDewerker, Roseboom, New York
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- CARAMEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, beat the first five ingredients on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into a well-greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For topping, combine the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and vanilla. Return to a boil; remove from the heat and cool slightly. Add confectioners' sugar; beat on high with a portable mixer for 30 seconds or until thickened. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with nuts.
- In a microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over top. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Caramel Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2002, p39
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Caramel Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review