Chocolate Chip Caramel Bars
I like to bring these rich goodies to parties or my husband's workplace," says Julie Tambrini of Lansing, Illinois. "The combination of gooey chocolate caramel and a crumbly topping makes them irresistible."
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 16 caramels
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, baking soda and
- salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve
- 1/2 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into an 8-in. x
- 4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10-14
- minutes or until set.
- In a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, melt caramels with the milk.
- Stir in the remaining flour until smooth. Pour over crust. Sprinkle
- with reserved crumb mixture and chocolate chips. Bake for 12-15
- minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Yield: 6 bars.
Nutritional Facts: 1 bar equals 282 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 224 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.