I like to bring these rich goodies to parties or my husband's workplace," says Julie Tambrini of Lansing, Illinois. "The combination of gooey chocolate caramel and a crumbly topping makes them irresistible."
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 16 caramels
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10-14 minutes or until set.
- In a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, melt caramels with the milk. Stir in the remaining flour until smooth. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture and chocolate chips. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6 bars.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Caramel Bars in Cooking for 2 Summer 2005, p 37
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Caramel Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review