- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 16 caramels
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10-14 minutes or until set.
- In a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, melt caramels with the milk. Stir in the remaining flour until smooth. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture and chocolate chips. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6 bars.
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Caramel Bars
Sort By :
These have a great taste but I had problems with the bottom crust. It never seemed to set even after baking for 15 minutes. I figured it would firm up after the total baking time, so I continued with the recipe. It never did. Even after completely cooling, the bottom was so moist that it seemed undercooked. A friend who is a chef liked them and said it was just the caramel sinking into the crust, but I thought it was too "wet". If I make these again, I might try making 1 1/2 times the dough.
These are sooo good. Everyone from all ages that has tried these loves them. I have made them twice. The second time I doubled the recipe.
The recipe calls for 16 caramels, they're listed in the ingredients.
does this recipe use caramels? If so, how much?
Dangerously delicious! The only thing I will do next time is melt the caramels in a heat proof measuring cup, it should be easier to pour the caramel sauce where you want it. I made a bit of a mess the first time.