"Whenever I need a quick dessert for a bake sale or get-together, I rely on this recipe," informs Tammy Haugen of Mayville, Wisconsin. "I keep cake mixes on hand, so these chocolate chip-studded treats are a snap to stir up."
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in 1-1/2 cups of chocolate chips and nuts.
- Spread in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Melt shortening with the remaining chocolate chips; drizzle over the top. Cut into bars. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Cake Bars in Quick Cooking March/April 2000, p48
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Cake Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review