Chocolate chips make these scones a hit with everyone who tries them. The confectioners' sugar glaze is a simple way to dress them up a bit.—Reba Starling-Silvey, Versailles, Missouri
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; stir in buttermilk just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips;
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over scones. Serve warm. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones in Country Woman March/April 2005, p19
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review