Chocolate Chiffon Valentine Cake Recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 15 small fresh strawberries, halved
- Fresh mint, optional
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line two greased 9-in. heart-shaped pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a small bowl, combine cocoa and water until smooth; cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil, vanilla and cocoa mixture. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture.
- 4. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely; carefully remove waxed paper.
- 5. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form; reserving 1-1/2 cups. Spread remaining frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- 6. Spoon reserved frosting into a pastry bag with a star tip. Pipe a decorative lattice design on cake top and sides. Garnish with strawberries and mint if desired. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 302 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 210 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.