Chocolate Chiffon Valentine Cake Recipe
"I first made this lovely lightly textured cake for my husband for Valentine's day more than 25 years ago," recalls Pat Eastman of Provo, Utah. "It's perfect for any special occasion. As an alternative, I've decorated the top with chocolate kisses."
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 15 small fresh strawberries, halved
- Fresh mint, optional
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line two greased 9-in. heart-shaped pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a small bowl, combine cocoa and water until smooth; cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil, vanilla and cocoa mixture. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely; carefully remove waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form; reserving 1-1/2 cups. Spread remaining frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Spoon reserved frosting into a pastry bag with a star tip. Pipe a decorative lattice design on cake top and sides. Garnish with strawberries and mint if desired. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Chiffon Valentine Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2001, p64
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Chiffon Valentine Cake(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Chocolate Cake >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >