Chocolate Chiffon Torte Recipe
"This is an old recipe that I made often when we were on the farm and I had lots of cream to use up," recalls field editor Iola Egle of Bella Vista, Arkansas.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- Chocolate curls
- 1. Line three 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the water, oil, egg yolks and melted chocolate. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 3. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Carefully remove waxed paper.
- 4. In a large saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Chill for 2 hours or until filling reaches spreading consistency, stirring occasionally. Beat with a mixer until fluffy.
- 5. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a fifth of the filling. Repeat layers.
- 6. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream, confectioners' sugar and cocoa until stiff peaks form. Spread over top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 620 calories, 40 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 184 mg cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC