Chocolate Chiffon Cake Ring Recipe
Meet the Cook: There were 11 of us to cook for when I was young. This was a recipe that my mother had. If there were cracked eggs from the laying hens she kept, it was always a good way of using them up! Like my parents, my husband and I have nine children, all of them grown. We are also the grandparents of 13. -Dorothy Haag, Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, oil and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 2. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 3. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 235 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Chiffon Cake Ring
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC