My friend had us over for an elegant tea party last Christmas to celebrate her mother's 90th birthday. She made these cookies and they were so pretty as well as delicious. I couldn't wait to get the recipe. After I finally got it I made them over and over. They are so pretty for Valentine's Day or Christmas or any time in between. These look so pretty at Christmas on a tea table with other pretty decorated cookies. And they taste as good as they look. My sisters and cropping friends love them and they get eaten quickly wherever and whenever I take them to parties. —Stephanie Smith, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Recommended: 11 Recipes to Make with Chocolate Kisses
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 30 maraschino cherries, patted dry
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and cocoa; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Bake 7-9 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, butter and cherry juice. Fill each cookie with 1/2 teaspoon filling. Top each with a cherry. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate-Cherry Thumbprint Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p154
Reviews for Chocolate-Cherry Thumbprint Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review