Chocolate Cherry Layer Cake
Flo Burtnett of Gage, Oklahoma has a sweet treat to enhance your buffet—a lusciously verssatile layer cake. "I've changed the design on top to a heart for Valentine's, a pumpkin for autumn and a tree for Christmas," she reveals.—Flo Burtnett, Gage, Oklahoma
12 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups (16 ounces) cherry yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 can (21 ounces) more-fruit cherry pie filling, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round
- baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, cinnamon, yogurt, eggs, milk and
- vanilla. Beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes.
- Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out
- clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter. Spread 1-3/4 cups whipped
- topping in a circle 1-1/2 in. wide around outer top edge of cake.
- Fill in center with 1 cup cherry pie filling. Top with remaining
- cake layer.
- Remove and discard 1/3 cup thickened cherry sauce from pie filling.