Chocolate Cherry Heart Recipe
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 jar (16 ounces) hot fudge ice cream topping
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1. Let pastry stand at room temperature for 15-20 minutes. Unfold pastry and place each circle on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon flour; turn over. Using a 9-in. paper heart pattern, cut out a heart from each circle. Prick pastries all over with a fork.
- 2. Brush with egg white. Combine almonds and sugar; sprinkle over pastries. Bake at 450° for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully slide crusts onto wire racks to cool.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and almond extract; beat until smooth. Add cream; beat until thickened.
- 4. Place one crust on a serving plate; spread with half of the fudge topping. Carefully spread with half of the cream cheese mixture; top with half of the cherry pie filling. Top with remaining crust, fudge topping and cream cheese mixture. Spoon remaining cherry pie filling to within 1 in. of edges. Chill until set. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 754 calories, 34g fat (16g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 102g carbohydrate (58g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein
Reviews for Chocolate Cherry Heart
"Great ideas for lightening it up. I was thinking much the same as I read the recipe. Hadn't thought of meringue bases, though."
"Just by reading the ingredients i see where I can lighten it up. By using light creamcheese. light cream, fat free fudge topping andlight cherry pie filling. I might also make 2 meriagne bases and that would even be much lighter. My family and I are really tryinhg to keep it light after all the Christmas goodies. I am going to give it a try.KFB in ON, Canada"