Chocolate Cherry Cream-Filled Log Recipe
When you present this eye-catching dessert on your table, you'll be thanked with many "ooohs" and "aaahs". It may take some time to prepare. But after you see the smiles on your family's faces, you'll agree it was worth a little extra effort.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling, divided
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place egg whites in small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup sugar. Beat in vanilla. Sift the flour, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture alternately with 1/3 cup water, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine 1 cup pie filling and whipped topping.
- Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter.
- For glaze, melt butter; whisk in cocoa and water until smooth. Cook until slightly thickened (do not boil). Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Gradually whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Pour over cake; chill. Just before serving, spoon 1/2 cup pie filling over cake. Serve with remaining pie filling. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Cherry Cream-Filled Log in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Cherry Cream-Filled Log(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cherry Cake >
- Cherry Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Frosting Recipes >
- Chocolate Icing Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >