Chocolate Cherry Cream-Filled Log Recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling, divided
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Place egg whites in small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup sugar. Beat in vanilla. Sift the flour, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture alternately with 1/3 cup water, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine 1 cup pie filling and whipped topping.
- Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter.
- For glaze, melt butter; whisk in cocoa and water until smooth. Cook until slightly thickened (do not boil). Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Gradually whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Pour over cake; chill. Just before serving, spoon 1/2 cup pie filling over cake. Serve with remaining pie filling. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Cherry Cream-Filled Log in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Fall 1996
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Cherry Cream-Filled Log
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 25, 2014
Reviewed May. 12, 2010
"This has become my favorite!!!!! I will be making it a lot from now on. Absolutely amazing!"