A juicy maraschino cherry peeks out from under a creamy frosting in this chocolate cookie. I've been making them for years and they've never failed to satisfy.
Recommended: 45 Valentine's Day Desserts for Your Sweetie
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 24 maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon maraschino cherry juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, cherry juice and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each. Place a cherry half in each indentation.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips with milk, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in cherry juice until blended. Spoon about 1 teaspoon over each cherry (frosting will spread over cookies during baking). Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Cherry Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p72
Reviews forChocolate Cherry Cookies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 18, 2011
"Reminds me of a recipe my mom made when I was little. I cut up the cherries and mixed in with batter. Very good!!"
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2010
"Best cookie recipe on the planet!"