A juicy maraschino cherry peeks out from under a creamy frosting in this chocolate cookie. I've been making them for years and they've never failed to satisfy.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 24 maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon maraschino cherry juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, cherry juice and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each. Place a cherry half in each indentation.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips with milk, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in cherry juice until blended. Spoon about 1 teaspoon over each cherry (frosting will spread over cookies during baking). Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Cherry Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p72
Reviews for Chocolate Cherry Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 18, 2011
"Reminds me of a recipe my mom made when I was little. I cut up the cherries and mixed in with batter. Very good!!"
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2010
"Best cookie recipe on the planet!"