Chocolate Cherry Cake Roll Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 3 cups fresh or frozen pitted sweet cherries, thawed, chopped and drained
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- Additional fresh sweet cherries, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; coat the paper with cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar; beat 2 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture and mix well.
- 2. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Bake 8-10 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. For filling, combine whipped topping and chocolate syrup; fold in cherries. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter.
- 4. For frosting, combine whipped topping and chocolate syrup. Frost cake; garnish with cherries if desired. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 189 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Chocolate Cherry Cake Roll
"Could I use Maraschino cherries versus the fresh cherries? I didn't give it 5 stars cause I haven't tried it yet."
"Haven't made this yet sounds delicious! I have a question for mrsgt,did you just add dry pudding mix in whipped topping?"
"Because of the whipped topping, I would not freeze this."
"As a diabetic, I always substitute Splenda for the sugar called for in the desert; sometimes Splenda Blend and sometimes just Splenda Granulated. I never notice a difference and my guests have never said anything to the contrary. Most people like to cut calories; diabetic or not."
"can you change this recipe for a diabetic person please."
"It went over well at the church dinner. I will definetly make it again"
"Delicious! I made this for a covered dish affair where I was asked to bring a dessert. It went very well. I did add a few chopped maraschino cherries to it."
"I made this for a church social, and by the time I got up to the dessert table, it was all gone, if that's any indication...."
"my parents loved it and so did my boyfriend, it made him cry:)"
"made this yesterday for supper@the motherinlaws and we all loved it,but only changed 2 things,the inside i used jam(heat it) add to frozen coolwhip & for the topping i used lemon pudding & coolwhip it was just great.next time i'll use choco pudding.this was my first time making a jelly roll cake and it turn out great .thanks for the recipe."
"this was very easy to make and my family loved it. I would like to know can this cake be frozen. Sadie New Liskeard, On Canada"