Chocolate-Cherry Banana Bread Recipe
I developed this sweet chocolate and banana bread after looking for ways to use extra dried tart cherries. It’s so rich and moist, no one will guess its lighter. —Cindy Beberman of Orland Park, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a small bowl, pour water over cherries; let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg whites and egg until smooth.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the banana, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with banana mixture. Drain cherries and coarsely chop; fold into batter with pecans.
- 3. Pour into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 164 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 148 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC