- 1 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, pour water over cherries; let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg whites and egg until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine the banana, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with banana mixture. Drain cherries and coarsely chop; fold into batter with pecans.
- Pour into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Chocolate-Cherry Banana Bread
"We love this bread. I've made it many times, but since I never have dried cherries I just leave those out and do everything else according to instructions. It always turns out moist with great chocolate flavor."
"Fantastic! Lovin every bite of it. I'm going to try it as muffins next. You can taste the chocolate, cherries and the bananas in every bite. Soooo moist! It will also be incredible with chocolate chips."
"I made this recipe into 12 muffins and I loved them! Us ed Fage 0% greek yogurt in place of sour cream and walnuts instead of pecans just because that's what I had on hand. Also added a bit of ground flaxseed for extra fiber and Omega 3. Perfect with morning coffee on the weekends."
"Awesome!!!!! So moist!!! I used maraschino cherries. This recipe is a keeper! !!!!"
"Oh so yummy! I doubled the recipe since I had more than one banana ready to go out, and used three eggs versus the egg white combo. Came out beautifully and was gone within 24 hours! This is like chocolate cake in disquise!!"