Chocolate Cherry Angel Cake
A cake mix keeps this dessert simple, but cherries and a rich chocolate glaze make it extraordinary. Friends and family will think you spent hours preparing this pretty cake.—Debra Hartze, Zeeland, North Dakota
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 + cooling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1/3 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- Maraschino cherries and fresh mint, optional
- In a large bowl, prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Fold cherries and chocolate into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the
- batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven
- rack at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and
- entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely,
- about 1 hour. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove
- cake to a serving plate.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, chocolate and corn syrup.
- Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in
- confectioners' sugar and cherry juice until glaze reaches desired
- consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake. Garnish with cherries and