A cake mix keeps this dessert simple, but cherries and a rich chocolate glaze make it extraordinary. Friends and family will think you spent hours preparing this pretty cake.—Debra Hartze, Zeeland, North Dakota
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1/3 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- Maraschino cherries and fresh mint, optional
- In a large bowl, prepare cake mix according to package directions. Fold cherries and chocolate into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, chocolate and corn syrup. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in confectioners' sugar and cherry juice until glaze reaches desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake. Garnish with cherries and mint if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Cherry Angel Cake in Quick Cooking January/February 2002, p7
Reviews for Chocolate Cherry Angel Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review