Chocolate Cherries Recipe
For these cute candies, maraschino cherries are dressed in a chocolate coating. Kids will have fun helping make the sweets, but they will have to wait a week or two for the filling to set before enjoying the fruits of their labors. -Janice Pehrson, Omaha, Nebraska
- 60 maraschino cherries with stems
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1. Pat cherries dry with paper towels; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt; mix well. Knead until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Roll into 1/2-in. balls; flatten each into a 2-in. circle. Wrap each circle around a cherry and lightly roll in hands. Place cherries with stems up on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Cover loosely and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 3. In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Holding onto the stem, dip each cherry into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Refrigerate until hardened. Store in a covered container. Refrigerate for 1-2 weeks before serving. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 64 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 18 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC