Chocolate Challah French Toast
We serve up a decadent breakfast of French toast from the kitchen of our family-run bed and breakfast. —Marie Parker, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 10 min.
- 4 slices challah or egg bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Optional toppings: confectioners' sugar, fresh raspberries, sliced fresh strawberries, sliced ripe banana and maple syrup
- Arrange bread slices in a 13x9-in. dish. In a small bowl, combine
- sugar, cocoa, salt and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk eggs,
- milk and vanilla. Gradually whisk into dry ingredients until smooth.
- Pour over bread. Let stand 10 minutes, turning once.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook bread for 3-4
- minutes each side or until toasted. Serve with toppings of your
- choice. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2 slices (calculated without optional toppings) equals 769 calories, 28 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 449 mg cholesterol, 923 mg sodium, 109 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein.