- 4 slices challah or egg bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Optional toppings: confectioners' sugar, fresh raspberries, sliced fresh strawberries, sliced ripe banana and maple syrup
- Arrange bread slices in a 13x9-in. dish. In a small bowl, combine sugar, cocoa, salt and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and vanilla. Gradually whisk into dry ingredients until smooth. Pour over bread. Let stand 10 minutes, turning once.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook bread for 3-4 minutes each side or until toasted. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Challah French Toast in Simple & Delicious December/January 2012, p93
Reviews for Chocolate Challah French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 24, 2012
"I tripled the bread for a family of 5 to eat and still had enough of the egg mixture without having to double it. I also didn't use challah bread, I used homemade oatmeal bread. Everybody liked it!"