- 4 slices challah or egg bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Optional toppings: confectioners' sugar, fresh raspberries, sliced fresh strawberries, sliced ripe banana and maple syrup
- Arrange bread slices in a 13x9-in. dish. In a small bowl, combine sugar, cocoa, salt and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and vanilla. Gradually whisk into dry ingredients until smooth. Pour over bread. Let stand 10 minutes, turning once.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook bread for 3-4 minutes each side or until toasted. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Challah French Toast
Sort By :
"Used homemade egg bread as suggested. Thought it was a bit too sweet and the bread stayed soggy in the middle even though I cooked it longer than it called for. Not as impressive as I had hoped it would be."
"I tripled the bread for a family of 5 to eat and still had enough of the egg mixture without having to double it. I also didn't use challah bread, I used homemade oatmeal bread. Everybody liked it!"