- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Remove 1/2 cup sugar mixture to a shallow dish.
- Add butter to remaining sugar mixture; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking cocoa, cream of tartar, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls. Roll in reserved sugar mixture; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with bottom of a glass. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Chai Snickerdoodles
"I made this recipe because I want to use my expensive cardamom different ways and not let it just sit around! They were super yummy, but didn't look like the picture. Mine didn't spread like that; they were small and poofy."
"OMG, I love these cookies! Doesn't hurt that I am a chocoholic and also love cinnamon and cardamom. I did find that it was best to leave them on the pan a couple of minutes before trying to remove them. Also, I had a lot of sugar mixture left at the end, even though I made exactly 36 cookies. Anyone have any ideas of what to do with the leftover mixture?"
"Loved these cookies!!!! The cardamom is so great. Just one & you are hooked."
"delicious! Everyone at my work loved these! I changed the recipe a little. I just couldn't pay the $12 for cardamom so I cut open a K-cup of chai latte and added some of that instead."
"These are fabulous! The dough was really sticky so I added 1/4 cup extra flour and refrigerated the dough for an hour or so. I also discovered I was out of ground ginger so I substituted 2 1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon, ginger and allspice and they are delicious!!"
"This is an excellent cookie. I followed the recipe almost exactly but substituted half cinnamon and half nutmeg for the cardamom. Absolutely delicious and will make again."
"I love the spices, delicious cookie"
"I really enjoyed the flavor of these cookies. I would save them for around Christmas time. They reminded me alot of gingerbread cookies. Great mix of spices!"