Chocolate Chai Snickerdoodles Recipe
I used to think snickerdoodles could never be improved -- that is until I added some chocolate. While they're baking, the aromas of chocolate mixed with warming spices reminds me of a cup of hot chai tea. —Katie Wollgast, Florissant, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:36 servings
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Remove 1/2 cup sugar mixture to a shallow dish.
- 2. Add butter to remaining sugar mixture; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking cocoa, cream of tartar, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- 3. Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls. Roll in reserved sugar mixture; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with bottom of a glass. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 cookie equals 124 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 89 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC