Chocolate Chai Snickerdoodles Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Remove 1/2 cup sugar mixture to a shallow dish.
- 2. Add butter to remaining sugar mixture; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking cocoa, cream of tartar, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- 3. Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls. Roll in reserved sugar mixture; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with bottom of a glass. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 cookie: 124 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Chai Snickerdoodles
"I made this recipe because I want to use my expensive cardamom different ways and not let it just sit around! They were super yummy, but didn't look like the picture. Mine didn't spread like that; they were small and poofy."
"OMG, I love these cookies! Doesn't hurt that I am a chocoholic and also love cinnamon and cardamom. I did find that it was best to leave them on the pan a couple of minutes before trying to remove them. Also, I had a lot of sugar mixture left at the end, even though I made exactly 36 cookies. Anyone have any ideas of what to do with the leftover mixture?"
"Loved these cookies!!!! The cardamom is so great. Just one & you are hooked."
"delicious! Everyone at my work loved these! I changed the recipe a little. I just couldn't pay the $12 for cardamom so I cut open a K-cup of chai latte and added some of that instead."
"These are fabulous! The dough was really sticky so I added 1/4 cup extra flour and refrigerated the dough for an hour or so. I also discovered I was out of ground ginger so I substituted 2 1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon, ginger and allspice and they are delicious!!"
"This is an excellent cookie. I followed the recipe almost exactly but substituted half cinnamon and half nutmeg for the cardamom. Absolutely delicious and will make again."
"I love the spices, delicious cookie"
"I really enjoyed the flavor of these cookies. I would save them for around Christmas time. They reminded me alot of gingerbread cookies. Great mix of spices!"
"I didn't care for the mix of flavors in these cookies."
"These Snickerdoodles are light and airy, with a wonderful spicy flavor that reminds one of cooler fall days. Delicious!"
"These are wonderful! They are nicer soft than crunchy, I think, so be sure to take them out as soon as done. My whole family loved them."
"I used ground BLACK pepper in this recipe since I didn't have white pepper! the flavor was still really good! (I'm known to make adjustments if I don't have the EXACT ingredient for a recipe.) delowenstein"
"I made a typo error-I meant to say that I used the butter-flavored Crisco shortening with just 2 Tbsp. cold water to equal 1 cup butter! I also think that the aroma of the cookies matured AFTER they baked! I admit that I DID get an aroma, but there was more of a fragrance following the baking of the cookies! delowenstein"
"I tried these for the first time 8/14/13! The recipe came out very nicely! I DID grease the baking sheets used and I flattened the cookie balls slightly with the palm of my hand. I found that this recipe made almost 4-1/2 dozen cookies! I DID use 1 cup of Butter-Flavored Crisco with 2 Tbsp. water to expedite the preparation + 2 Tbsp. water to equal 1 cup of butter. The cookies were very good! I took them 8/15/13 to the local hospital where I volunteer and shared them with the Volunteer Resources Office! They were enjoyed very much! Thank you, Katie Wollgast, for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home! delowenstein"