Chocolate Chai Mini Loaves Recipe
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chai tea latte mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon chai tea latte mix
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 5 teaspoons milk
- 1. In a microwave, melt chocolate with the water; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla, then chocolate mixture.
- 2. Combine the flour, latte mix, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
- 3. Transfer to three greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, latte mix, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost tops of loaves. Yield: 3 mini loaves (6 slices each).
1 slice: 208 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Chai Mini Loaves
"I happened to see this recipe and loved the idea of chocolate and chai together. I didn't have all the ingredients at hand, but I did have a boxed chocolate cake mix (the kind with pudding in the mix) and decided to use this instead. I don't know what the homemade one would taste like, but this was fabulous. I had instant chai latte mix and added this to the boxed mix and it came out great. Also did the same thing to a container of vanilla cream frosting, added the instant chai tea mix and used an electric hand mixer to bring it to a fluffy consistency. Next time, I'll make sure I have the ingredients to make it like the original recipe calls for."
"Made three excellent mini loaves. Frosting is amazing. Have to make sure the latte mix dissolves fully in the frosting or it can be gritty. I used Oregon Chai Tea Latte mix which came in individual servings and one packet was perfect for one batch."
"I make one regular loaf. My family loved it.I found the chai tea at our local market, but it was alot cheaper at Trader Joes ($2.99 in So. Ca.). I will use the frosting on many more cakes, cupcakes etc. It was wonderful!"
"If you have trouble finding the chai tea latte mix, you could make the mix yourself with the Spiced Chai Mix recipe from Taste of Home. http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Spiced-Chai-MixTaste of Home Test Kitchen"
"Found this magazine at a garage sale, and decided to try them.. my daughter says they are VERY close to her grandmas favorite chocolate cake!"
"Made 28 for Christmas gifts for employees, teachers and friends. Great recipe because it makes 3 mini loaves. Taste is outstanding and a bit exotic due to the chai tea mix. LOVE IT"
"Loved it! Smelled so heavenly while baking! Love chai and chocolate, so this was a perfect combo for me!"
"I used the McCormick chai seasoning that my grocer now discontinued. I had to cut it in 1/2 because it would have been too strong. Many ladies at bible study thought it was gingerbread."
"The chai latte mix was tough for me to find, but well worth the trouble in the end! I think the texture fits that of cupcakes more than a loaf, personally. Very soft and light!"
"These loaves are tasty and simple to prepare. I don't consider them as a bread, though. To me, the consistency is that of cake. They are little loaf-shaped cakes. I thought the chai flavor in the frosting was a bit strong, so I will add less of the powder next time. I had enough batter for four mini-loaves."
"VERY moist and fluffy - reminds me of Devil's Food! I too was only able to find Int'l Foods Chai Latte mix, and even so, it was sugar-free."
"When I make these I use General Foods International Chai Latte. That is the only thing that I have found."
"These are awesome! I love chai tea and this combination is definitely a winner!!!!!"