Chocolate Cayenne Souffles Recipe
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons plus 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash salt
- 1. Separate egg; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat two 6-oz. ramekins with 1 teaspoon butter and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Place ramekins on a baking sheet; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter.
- 3. Stir in 2 tablespoons sugar and the flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Whisk in the chocolate, cayenne and salt until chocolate is melted. Transfer to a small bowl.
- 4. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- 5. In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar on high until stiff peaks form.
- 6. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg white into chocolate mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg white until combined. Transfer to prepared ramekins.
- 7. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until the tops are puffed and centers appear set. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving: 384 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Chocolate Cayenne Souffles
"I made these for my husband and myself for Valentines Day. They were easy to assemble and turned out great. Definitely a keeper in my recipe files."