Chocolate Cayenne Souffles Recipe
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons plus 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash salt
- 1. Separate egg; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat two 6-oz. ramekins with 1 teaspoon butter and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Place ramekins on a baking sheet; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter.
- 3. Stir in 2 tablespoons sugar and the flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Whisk in the chocolate, cayenne and salt until chocolate is melted. Transfer to a small bowl.
- 4. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- 5. In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar on high until stiff peaks form.
- 6. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg white into chocolate mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg white until combined. Transfer to prepared ramekins.
- 7. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until the tops are puffed and centers appear set. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving: 384 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein
Reviews for Chocolate Cayenne Souffles
"I made these for my husband and myself for Valentines Day. They were easy to assemble and turned out great. Definitely a keeper in my recipe files."