- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the carrots, sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into carrot mixture until blended.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla until smooth.
- Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with half of the frosting. Repeat with remaining cake layer. Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate chips. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Carrot Cake
Sort By :
"This is one of my favorites."
"This cake was amazing, I made it for my husbands birthday, needless to say it did not sit around for long."
"This cake is extremely deliciouse! I substituted half the oil with vanilla yogurt, used low fat cream cheese and less margaine in the frosting and its just as good as ever. I have made it twice and will definitely make it again....so moist and yummy!"
"I have made this cake a dozen times, always turns out perfect! Never met anybody that doesn't LOVE it! Definitely a keeper!"
"This recipe makes a LOT of frosting.. I could have probably done half of it (and eaten the other half out of the bowl since it was so good). My issue was that I didn't let my cake to cook enough that some of the frosting melted and I made a big mess. But when I brought it in for the church potluck, I had so many compliments and people asking for this recipe! Yum."