- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the carrots, sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into carrot mixture until blended.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla until smooth.
- Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with half of the frosting. Repeat with remaining cake layer. Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate chips. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Carrot Cake
"I've been making this recipe for years, and I always come back because it impresses! It's super moist and delicious and I very rarely make changes (on purpose). For instance, this round I ran out of canola oil at 1 cup, and filled in the 1/4 with extra Virgin olive oil (no problems). I've made with butter and other times margarine, no problems. Substituted whole wheat flour and still delicious!! My ONLY complaint, is every time I've made this, the cooking time never works. I always have to cook an extra 10-15 minutes MINIMUM. I'm using the exact pan size, with the waxed paper, sprayed, the works. (with zero variation to the recipe these times); in multiple different ovens. (Like I said, years making this recipe!) I do understand that cooking times are "guidelines", but someone who doesn't bake often might be frustrated by the 25 minute timer, and the fact it isn't true. I've made this recipe in a bunt pan before and it takes well over an hour. Delicious recipe either way!!! Always a hit and always finished quickly! Thank you!!"
"This is one of my favorites."
"This cake was amazing, I made it for my husbands birthday, needless to say it did not sit around for long."
"This cake is extremely deliciouse! I substituted half the oil with vanilla yogurt, used low fat cream cheese and less margaine in the frosting and its just as good as ever. I have made it twice and will definitely make it again....so moist and yummy!"
"I have made this cake a dozen times, always turns out perfect! Never met anybody that doesn't LOVE it! Definitely a keeper!"