When I was growing up, my mom made these delicious candies every Christmas. They were my favorite then and still are today.
32 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 1 hour 40 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with foil and grease the foil with butter;
- set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring the sugar, corn syrup and chocolate
- to a boil over medium heat; stir until smooth. Add 1/2 cup cream;
- cook, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 234°
- (soft-ball stage). Add another 1/2 cup cream; return mixture to
- 234° (soft-ball stage). Add the remaining cream; cook to
- 248° (firm-ball stage).
- Immediately pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Let
- stand until firm, about 5 hours or overnight. Using foil, lift candy
- out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in. squares using a
- buttered knife. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends. Yield:
- 1-1/4 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 caramel equals 94 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 10 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.