Chocolate Caramels Recipe
When I was growing up, my mom made these delicious candies every Christmas. They were my favorite then and still are today.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 1 hour 40 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1. Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with foil and grease the foil with butter; set aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, bring the sugar, corn syrup and chocolate to a boil over medium heat; stir until smooth. Add 1/2 cup cream; cook, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage). Add another 1/2 cup cream; return mixture to 234° (soft-ball stage). Add the remaining cream; cook to 248° (firm-ball stage).
- 3. Immediately pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Let stand until firm, about 5 hours or overnight. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in. squares using a buttered knife. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends. Yield: 1-1/4 pounds.
1 caramel equals 94 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 10 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC