- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 12 to 14 caramels
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls. In a shallow bowl, beat egg white. Place pecans in a separate shallow bowl. Dip balls in egg white, then in pecans, patting to help pecans adhere.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt caramels with cream over low heat; stir until smooth. Fill each cookie with about 1/2 teaspoon caramel mixture. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Caramel Thumbprints
"Hands down this is one of my favourite cookie recipes ever. The chocolate, nuts and caramel are a traditional and spectacular combination."
"These are so good. Instead of melted caramel for the filling, I made it with store bought dulce de leche....YUM!"
"Does anyone know if the butter in the recipe should be salted or unsalted?"
"Rich and chocolatey! I mixed things up a bit. Made half with Hershey kisses and toasted almonds. The other half I omitted the nuts, rolled them in turbinado cane sugar, used the caramel filling and lightly sprinkled the caramel with sea salt...so delicious!"
"I made a batch of these for coworkers. They were all gone by the end of the day!"
"I made these cookies for Christmas and they were a definite hit. Sweet chocolate cookie base filled with warm, gooey carmels surrounded by pecans and drizzled with white chocolate and milk chocolate...oh so very good. To enhance the taste, i toasted the pecans and doubled the vanilla. Next time, I'll double the recipe to make more. These are great with vanilla ice cream or simply with a glass of milk."
"Time consuming to prepare, but they are now our favorite cookies for Christmas! They don't last long."