- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 12 to 14 caramels
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls. In a shallow bowl, beat egg white. Place pecans in a separate shallow bowl. Dip balls in egg white, then in pecans, patting to help pecans adhere.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt caramels with cream over low heat; stir until smooth. Fill each cookie with about 1/2 teaspoon caramel mixture. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Caramel Thumbprints
Sort By :
"I made a batch of these for coworkers. They were all gone by the end of the day!"
"I made these cookies for Christmas and they were a definite hit. Sweet chocolate cookie base filled with warm, gooey carmels surrounded by pecans and drizzled with white chocolate and milk chocolate...oh so very good. To enhance the taste, i toasted the pecans and doubled the vanilla. Next time, I'll double the recipe to make more. These are great with vanilla ice cream or simply with a glass of milk."
"This is the best Thumbprint cookie I ever ate. Big success as Christmas."
"I just made these as part of my Christmas cookie baking. They were awesome! I have a family member with a nut allergy so I rolled them in chocolate sprinkles which turned out fine."
"like everyone says, they take time to make but the outcome is well worth it. it is on our Christmas must have cookie list every year. Everyone who has tried them, loves them!"