Chocolate Caramel Cupcakes
A few baking staples are all you need to throw together these chewy delights from Bev Spain. Boxed cake mix and a can of frosting make them fast, but caramel, walnuts and chocolate chips tucked inside make them memorable. "We like them with ice cream," Bev writes from her home in Bellville, Ohio.
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 24 caramels
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- Chocolate frosting and hot caramel ice cream topping
- Additional walnuts, optional
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions for cupcakes.
- Fill 24 paper-lined muffin cups one-third full; set remaining batter
- aside. Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes or until top of cupcake
- appears set.
- Gently press a caramel into each cupcake; sprinkle with chocolate
- chips and walnuts. Top with remaining batter. Bake 15-20 minutes
- longer or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool
- completely. Frost with chocolate frosting and drizzle with ice cream
- topping. Sprinkle with additional nuts if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.