Chocolate-Caramel Chiffon Cake Recipe
I learned how to make this fluffy, luscious cake while attending pastry school. My family just can’t get enough of the smooth chocolate cream and decadent caramel sauce.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/8 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- CHOCOLATE CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate curls, optional
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, combine cocoa and hot water until smooth; cool for 20 minutes. Line three greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients along with the cocoa mixture. Beat until well blended.
- 3. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat with clean beaters until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Gently transfer to prepared pans.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- 5. For caramel sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Refrigerate until thickened to spreading consistency.
- 6. For chocolate cream, beat cream, confectioner's sugar, cocoa and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- 7. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup caramel sauce and 1 cup chocolate cream. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining caramel sauce over top. Spread remaining chocolate cream over top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC